Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fausto-Sterling ch. 3-4


These two chapters were difficult for me to read. I find concept of genital surgery on children hard to understand. As I believe Fausto-Sterling points out, media/society is against genital mutilation in other countries, but passively allows it in this country. At first, I thought that the parents were the ones Okaying the surgeries, but it seems like they are often told about them after they are performed. I have a big problem with the idea that doctors are deciding things without consulting the parents. I think that it is an infringement on the health of the baby in addition to all of the other violations.
The other really big take away point I got from this was that they would often perform a surgery based on what genitals were larger and/or what was easier to “fix”. There has been lots of improvement in medicine since these surgeries started. I understand that they probably didn’t have all of the testing we have available today. But, because of the swift nature of their surgeries, the child frequently didn’t not perceive themselves to be that gender as they grew older. Sometimes the patient didn’t find out about the surgery until they were a fully grown adult. Wow. I can’t imagine going to the doctor and finding out that I have been lied to by doctors (and maybe my parents) for all of my life.
In response to the idea that we have more than 2 sexes, I’m not sure. I understand the need to broaden the idea of gender to more than 2. I’m just not sure about breaking sex into 5. I think I get the thought behind it—2 just isn’t broad enough for everyone. I’m just not sure that we would end at 5 or whether it would keep growing into more subcategories. I need to learn more about this before I can really say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment