Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Response to Fausto-Sterling


After reading these chapters about treating intersex babies, I can’t help but wonder whether it would be more difficult to physically and mentally live in a dualistic world if surgery measures are not taken or to just mentally live in a dualistic world if surgery measures are taken.  I have a problem with doctors and parents somewhat arbitrarily making decisions for a baby with no say in the matter, but it is hard for me to imagine a baby maturing and having to cope with both the physical appearance of their genitals and their “cultural genitals”, as Fausto Sterling and Kessler refer to.  While it is not fair to pick the genital makeup of a baby at birth, I can see some people arguing that a baby may grow up and be upset that surgical measures were not taken.  This is probably due to the fact that our society is so constructed, making it hard to see beyond our comfort zones of gender, but I think we have to take this fact seriously when determining what that child would prefer.  If societal constructions continue to permeate our every day lives, then is it fair to confine a baby to a more marginalized lifestyle?  In order for me to really buy into the idea opting to not perform some sort of surgery at birth, walls need to be broken in our society that liberate intersex people so they are accepted on the same level as males and females.

I also agree with Rita that creating a 5-sex category might lead to a multitude of other subcategories that may not necessarily be helpful at this moment in time.  Unfortunately, it has taken people a long time to come around to the idea of intersex people.  If we continue to add sex categories to our system, I can only imagine that people might freak out and become more closed off to the idea.  The system definitely needs to be changed, in my opinion, but I think it should be a little more gradual than Fausto-Sterling suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment